FSN e-newsletter September 2015
* Seedlings for the 2015-16 planting season need to be ordered soon. Several POSTS on the website are already sold out.
* The new FSN 'Search Seedling' module is up and running.
/search.aspx As you click the radial buttons, left to right for each step the number of POSTS remaining and related information shows on the 'Script Line' below. At any time you can scroll down to view RESULTS and click 'POST Details' for info on a specific POST. Just scroll up to continue.
* You can look for seedlings for your specific planting site by using 'Map Search'. After completing boxes 1-3, chose 'Map Search' in Box 4. Click Icon to open 'Map Search' and move the pointer (green point at the bottom) to your planting site. Your request will be processed and the information will show on the right. Click 'View Details' to remove the light box. Scroll down to see RESULTS. Be aware that POSTS for all elevations are listed for the applicable Zone(s). Refer to the yellow line 'My Site Elevation' to select an appropriate POST for your planting area. This message shows only after 'Map Search'.
* Advanced Search is helpful to landowners looking for POSTS with specific seedlings requirements.
* Growers are currently taking orders for 2016 contract sowing! They are busy planning for spring sowing. The process involves several steps that can take months depending on the species, seed zone and seed quality. Planning steps include:
*Growers may sow only on contract, speculation stock or a mix of both. FSN grower POSTS include spec stock and over runs from contracts.
- Process sowing orders by species and seed zones.
- Calculate seed needs
- Procure seed if the customer does not have their own.
- Do germination tests if seed is old or has never been tested (30-90 days).
- Stratify seed for sowing in the spring (30-90 days).
* Let us know what you think about the new Search Seedling Module.
Forest Seedling Network thanks your for your support,